Composing the Perfect Cover Letter
A cover letter is one of the most imperative factors in getting noticed, providing the first impression to an employer. It is therefore worth investing time in ensuring that your cover letter is representative of your skills, qualifications, experience and personality.
A well-written cover letter should be used to demonstrate that:
- You have the skills, qualifications and experience required in order to perform the role
- You possess attention to detail (no spelling or punctuation errors)
- You are unique in your ability to perform the role – demonstrate links between your abilities and the needs of the business and employer
- You are passionate and enthusiastic about the role and the business as a whole – take the time to research the business
It is critical to bear the following in mind when composing a cover letter:
- Address the contact mentioned in the job advert and quote the reference
- Summarise your current job situation and, without being negative, briefly explain your reasons for moving into a new role / business
- Explain the reasons as to why you are specifically interested in them as an employer – subsequently, state why they should be interested in you as an employee
- Highlight your transferable skills and adaptability
- Avoid repetition
- Sign off by articulating interest in further communications about the role
Contact us for assistance with creating the perfect cover letter.